To fully understand the petroleum systems of South Asia you must first have an appreciation of the breakup history of Gondwana, the subsequent fragmentation of the Indian Plate during its drift phase and its collision with Eurasia.
Key to the scientific rigour of this report is the mapping of the structural framework against data, including Getech’s best available gravity and magnetic data. This in turn constrains the plate model, which is also developed in the context of Getech’s Global Plate Model to eliminate boundary effects. This report demonstrates the need for this approach as its findings have an impact over a much wider area.
“To fully understand the petroleum systems of South Asia you must first have an appreciation of the breakup history of Gondwana…”
- 330 page report with 191 figures and tables
- Four enclosures
- Structure and tectonics wall map of Southern Asia
- An ArcGIS™ project and geodatabase v10.x (earlier versions available on request)
- Plate model (PaleoGIS and GPlates formats)
All products supplied subject to our standard Licence Agreement (available on request).
This Regional Report investigates…
…the crustal nature of India’s neighbouring plates (e.g. the 85°E, Lactadive and Laxmi Ridges) and the impacts on models for Gondwanan breakup.
…a more satisfactory displacement between India and Madagascar across the Vishnu Fracture Zone.
…neotectonics as a constraint to plate modelling.
…the collision history of India and Eurasia.
…the timing of the Deccan Traps relative to basin forming events.
- Executive Summary and Introduction
- Plate Tectonic Modelling
- Structural Mapping and Tectonic Evolution
- Neotectonics of Southern Asia
- Tectonophysiographic Terranes and Depositional Systems
- Bibliography and Appendices
- Cultural data
- Basin and sub-basin outlines
- Principle tectonic elements
- Volcanics, intrusives and metamorphics
- Crustal types
- Earthquakes and volcanoes
- Plate velocities
- Principal strain axis
- Strain rate
- Strain grid
- Maximum horizontal stress
- Seismic line and cross-section locations
- Images of gravity data, derivatives and transforms
- Topography and bathymetry
- Five 2D gravity and magnetic profiles hyperlinked to PDFs
- Present Day tectonic and depositional environments
- Forty layer file groups illustrating rotated coastline and tectonic plate positions for timeslices from the Pleistocene back to the Hettangian (Early Jurassic). This enables easy visualisation of plate modelling results without the requirement for use of GPlates or PaleoGIS.
If this Regional Report is of interest then you may also wish to know more about the following Getech products: